Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Diversity

By: Antonea Griffin

PLATTSBURGH – Greek Life is an essential on many campuses. There are many different types of sororities and fraternities that stand for its own beliefs and works towards a change in each individual and the impact of others. But with the expanding of minorities and the attending of predominantly white school how could these minorities decide where they would want to fit in at.
There are some that are multicultural, Hispanic, and some that stands for the empowerment of women and men. But in some schools there aren’t any that stand for those. The Divine 9 is a black Greek organization that is broken up into nine, historically African Americans.
Abdoul Barry, 21, I attended school where there was no divine 9. Nothing but Caucasian Greek life and I grew knowing that anything I put my mind to, I could achieve. So, I decided to bring a black chapter to my school and we made it through, so if you want it as bad as you say you do, you wouldn’t let nothing stop you from making it happen.
With the idea of not having a black organization on campus where minorities are attending separates each individual from making a change in their life or believing that someday they can be a person to impact another person life.
Zina Mingo, 49, I went to predominantly all-white school but I knew where my heart was and where I wanted to be. Delta Sigma Theta was my dream from since I was a kid and nothing was going to stop me from being just that.
The diversity level in many schools is uprising with minorities attending them but their dropping with the lack of involvement of minorities. If any school can bring up a chapter and have different chapters on campus so can divine 9s be available.
Hazing is a big factor when looking at black Greek organizations.
Mashari Gournee, 23, we stand for no hazing but we have to understand a limit of what our ancestors went through for us and how they sacrificed for us to live the life that we did. And pledging DST was the best thing that happened to me.
Bringing diversity to campuses puts a better view on it. People look for things that interest them when deciding a college to attend.


-- ### --

No comments:

Post a Comment